Preparations for open gas market
Finland’s new Natural Gas Market Act entered into force at the beginning of 2018. In addition to the reformed Act, the market opening will also require rules and procedures agreed by the sector. Gasum’s TSO (transmission system operator) department coordinated the gas market rules formulation process in cooperation with customers and other stakeholders during 2017 – 2019. In addition to rules TSO has prepared contracts, transmission tariffs, IT systems and data exchange instructions for the open gas market. These web pages are Gasum’s TSO department’s information channel regarding Finnish gas market opening. Access to the web portal was opened for registered market participants 1st Oct 2019:
Gasum as the current transmission system operator organizes natural gas market reform by designing market rules with the customers, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, Energy Authority, Baltic Connector Oy and other stakeholders. The Government’s proposal for Finland’s new Natural Gas Market Act was approved by the parliament in summer 2017. According to the Finland’s new Natural Gas Market Act, the Finnish gas market will be opened up as of the beginning of 2020.
Preparation of gas market rules has been done in working groups with customers, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, Energy Authority, Gasum, Baltic Connector Oy and other stakeholders. English translations (non-binding version) of shipper-related market rules were published in August 2019 (see below).
Gasum TSO has organized information events on the topic on May 15th, November 29th 2017, October 5th 2018, May 21st 2019 and 30th Sep 2019 in Helsinki, Finland. The aim of the work was to prepare national rules for Natural Gas Market, that will enable a well-functioning, non-discriminatory and cost-effective national market. Public consultation regarding market rules and contracts was held in March-April 2019 and another public consultation regarding terms of TSO’s services during 31st May – 14th June 2019. Finalised rules in Finnish were published in July 2019 after Energy Authority had approved the terms of TSO’s services. Non-binding English translations are available of the following documents:
- Gas transmission rules, version 1.0 30.7.2019 (pdf)
- Shipper’s and trader’s framework agreement, 30.7.2019 (pdf)
- Portal access terms and conditions (appendix 1 of framework agreements), version 1.0 25.9.2019 (pdf)
- Gas Market Code and Information Exchange Guidelines, version 1.5 3.10.2019 (pdf)
- Edig@s XML 5.1 guideline for Finland, version 1.4 30.11.2019 (pdf)
- Track changes document compared to version 1.3 (pdf)
- Gas Datahub user instruction, version 25th June 2019 (pdf)
To register as market participant, please fill and send the registration form (doesn’t work with Internet Explorer). Please, also send two signed written copies of the original framework agreements to the following postal address:
For futher information regarding registration process, see Gas Market Code and Information Exchange Guidelines above.
In the Finnish gas market shippers and traders are required to have an EIC-X party code (Energy Identification Coding, EIC). For futher information about EIC codes and applying them see EIC codes page.
UAB GET Baltic will provide gas exchange services for the Finnish gas market starting from 1.1.2020, when the Finnish gas market is opened for competition. The current gas exchange in Finland, Kaasupörssi Oy, owned by Gasum, will be closed on 1.1.2020. For further information see the media release.
For frequently asked questions and their answers see the FAQ page.
Balancing service contracts
Transmission system operator acquires balancing service contracts by putting out to tender. Bidding period for February starts at 2020-01-10, 12:00 (EET) and ends 2020-01-22, 12:00 (EET). Please find further information, bid form, terms and conditions for balancing services and the product description in the documents below:
Implicit capacity allocation method in Balticconnector interconnection point
Capacity is allocated implicitly in the interconnection point Balticconnector connecting Finnish and Baltic markets.
- What does it mean from shipper’s perspective? Read more.
- Why implicit capacity allocation method was chosen? Read more.
Gas transmission tariff 2020
The Finnish gas transmission system operator (TSO) with system responsibility published 28th June 2019 new gas transmission tariffs, which will be applied in the Finnish gas transmission system 1.1.2020 – 31.12.2020:
- Final transmission tariff (pdf)
- TSO’s answer (pdf)
Received public comments:
Consultation process and preliminary tariff in spring 2019
The Finnish gas transmission system operator (TSO) with system responsibility held a public consultation between February 15 and March 31, 2019 on the new gas transmission tariffs. The document presented the preliminary transmission charges proposed at the TSO’s entry and exit points, excluding international connections, in the natural gas system. In addition to the transmission charges, the document described charges other than transmission charges and the criteria for them.
- Consultation document preliminary tariffs (pdf)
Following proposals to amend the Natural Gas Market Act, the rights to set transmission charges to international connections, has been given to the regulatory authority (Finnish Energy Authority). Energy Authority held a public consultation with the same timeframe.
Consultation event on the new gas transmission tariff on Friday 15.3.2019
The transmission system operator with system responsibility held a consultation event on the new gas transmission tariff for stakeholders in Helsinki on March 15. Material of the event can be found on the info materials page
Information events about Finnish open gas market
Info session about data exchange in Finnish open gas market 7th Oct 2019, Espoo and skype, videos and presentation slides:
- Agenda and introduction, Ville Rahkonen, Gasum TSO, video, slides (pdf)
- Gas datahub: data management and contract processes, Henri Nieminen, Solteq, video, slides (pdf)
- Portal and its API interface, Leo-Matti Lehtonen, Nordcloud, video, slides (pdf) Note 21.11.2019: the method for authentication in API has been changed after this event
- Nominations and trade notifications using Edig@s and connecting to AS4, Toni Salminen, AgentIT, video, slides (pdf)
Finnish Gas market opening – TSO’s info session 30th September 2019
Finnish Gas Transmission Services and Gasum TSO organization held an information event in English on the 30th of September 2019 at Finlandia Hall, Helsinki.
The video recordings can be seen from the links:
1. New TSO Gasgrid Finland’s operation starting 1st Jan 2020
Olli Sipilä, Finnish Gas Transmission Services
2. Registration as a Market Participant
Ville Rahkonen, Gasum TSO
3. Implementation and launch of data exchange and IT systems
Tiina Niinimäki, Gasum TSO
4. Contracting of balancing services
Leena Sivill, Gasum TSO (Hansen Technologies Finland)
5. Estonia–Latvia balancing zone development
Jānis Eisaks, Conexus Baltic Grid
6. Preparation of legislation
Arto Rajala, TEM
7. Approval process of the retail market terms and conditions
Kimmo Siira, Finnish Energy and Meri-Katriina Pyhäranta, Energy Authority
8. GET Baltic gas exchange in Finland
Gintaras Buzkys, GET Baltic
9. Taxation in the open gas market (in Finnish)
Antti Saastamoinen, Verohallinto / Tax Administration
Shipper-info event about Finnish open gas market 4th June 2019
Finnish Gas Transmission Services and Gasum TSO organization held a shipper-information event in English on the 4th of June 2019 in Espoo, Finland and via skype. Target audience was non-Finnish speaking stakeholders interested in shipper’s side of Finnish open gas market starting 1st Jan 2020. Content of the info was a shipper-focused extract from info session held 21st May 2019 in Finnish in Helsinki added with some more background information and GET Baltic’s presentation.
- Presentation slides
- Agenda and opening, Ville Rahkonen, Gasum TSO and Anni Sarvaranta, Finnish Gas Transmission services
- Timeline for market opening, Ville Rahkonen, Gasum TSO
- Shipper-related market rules and contracts, Leena Sivill, Gasum TSO (HansenCX)
- Registration process, Ville Rahkonen, Gasum TSO
- Data exchange, Tiina Niinimäki, Gasum TSO
- Capacity booking, Leena Sivill, Gasum TSO (HansenCX)
- GET Baltic’s future plans in Finland, Gintaras Buzkys, GET Baltic
Chief Operating Officer, TSO, Gasum Oy
t. +358 400 368 825 janne.gronlund(at)gasum.com
Development manager, TSO, Gasum Oy
Program manager for market opening
t. +358 40 719 9831 ville.rahkonen(at)gasum.com
Business developer, TSO, Gasum Oy
IT project manager
t. +358 40 592 7042 tiina.niinimaki(at)gasum.com